Thursday, October 21, 2010

Doctor Who Scarf

I'm making a Doctor Who scarf as a holiday gift this year, based on the pattern here.  Using the guideline for the number of rows in each color... I went off on my own.  As I am allergic to wool (a terrible fate for a knitter/crocheter, it's true!) I had to find acrylic alternative yarns.  I thought I would share them with you today.  All of the yarns I am using are Red Heart Super Saver colors. 
Red:  cherry red
Brown:  warm brown
Beige:  buff or linen (from what I have seen, these colors are very close in person, the linen being slightly more grey)
Grey:  grey heather
Purple:  dark orchid
Green:  cafe (a slightly greenish brown. It was the closest match I could find - the original is a bit greener.)
Yellow:  gold

I used the photos of the actual scarf (also available on the previously linked site) and matched the colors as closely as I could.

Since this yarn is all worsted weight (as opposed to sport), I also moved up to a (US) size 8 knitting needle from the recommended size 5.  I get about 4 stitches to an inch with this yarn on this needle.  The original scarf is a mix of 11" and 9" widths, so I split the difference and cast on 40 stitches.  This scarf is still in the works, so I don't have a final length measurement or yarn amounts yet, but it will be spectacularly long, I'm sure. 

I'm also considering making one 6" wide for myself, with 2/3 long stripes, as well.  Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment