Monday, August 23, 2010

Sheikah Scarf

As you may have guessed, I have an inordinate love for the Zelda series of video games.  The Legend of Zelda was the second video game I ever played (after Mario Bros.).  I love the pseudo-fantasy storylines, and the classic theme of rescuing a princess.  When I was a small child, I also loved the fact that all of the characters in the manual art had hair in front of their ears - I had the same but didn't know anyone else who did.

At this point, I would normally put a spoiler alert, but if you haven't played through Ocarina of Time yet, you have no right to complain about things being spoiled.

As a teenager, I was impressed and empowered by the "damsel in distress" Zelda dressing as Sheik and helping in the fight against Ganondorf.  My favorite color being blue, I also liked Sheik's costume.  Now, I would never wear a tabard or mask (outside of costumes, of course), but I would wear a scarf!  So I designed the Sheikah Scarf:


This scarf is long enough to be wrapped around the head/face several times, and still fall to the low chest, shown here folded.

Gauge is not important for this project.  The final scarf will measure approximately 8 inches wide.  If you want a wider scarf, cast on additional stitches and work them in the center part of the scarf.

Using size 10 needles and white worsted weight yarn,
Cast on 35 stitches

Row 1: Knit across.
Row 2: Slip one stitch purlwise, then purl to the end of the row.
Row 3: Slip one stitch, then knit to the end of the row.
Row 4: Slip one stitch, then knit to the end of the row.
Row 5: Slip one stitch, knit 1, purl 1, knit to the last 3 stitches, purl 1, knit 2
Row 6: Slip one stitch purlwise, purl 1, knit 1, purl to the last 3 stitches, knit 1, purl 2
Row 7: Sl, K1, P1, K to last 3 sts, P1, K2
Row 8: Sl/P, P1, K1, P to last 3 sts, K1, P2

repeat rows 7 and 8 until scarf measures 6 feet.
repeat row 7.

Row 9: Sl, K across
Row 10: Sl, K across
Row 11: Sl/P, P across
Row 12: Sl, K across
Bind off.

Use duplicate stitch to embroider the following chart to one or both ends of the scarf:
The chart should be centered, and the bottom of the chart should end approximately 2" from the end of the scarf.


Zelda and all related concepts and designs are copyright Nintendo, pattern copyright Ganon's Mom, feel free to share with credit, do not sell this pattern.

No comments:

Post a Comment